Tuesday 24 June 2008

The Dictionary

Read the information about “The dictionary and its uses”. Discuss some difficult sentences with your friends.

THE DICTIONARY AND ITS USES

Have you got a dictionary? As a student of English you should have an English dictionary. A dictionary is important for somebody learning English. It helps the learner to study the English language.

A dictionary is a kind of reference book. It gives a list of words in alphabetical order and gives information about them. It explains their pronunciation, spelling and meaning. In addition, a good dictionary also explains how words are used. For example, it mentions what part of speech a word is. This helps the student to use words in sentences. An English dictionary that has explanations in English is called a monolingual dictionary. An English dictionary that has explanations in Indonesia is called bilingual dictionary.

People classify dictionaries by size and coverage. There are pocket dictionaries or small dictionaries and large ones. A small dictionary usually contains a limited number of words. It may be suitable for beginners. A larger dictionary has more words and may be suitable for advanced learners.

What can you do if you do not know the meaning of a word? If you ask someone to explain it to you, he may not know it. If you have a dictionary, it will help you. You can look up the word in the dictionary and it will explain to you what you want to know. Also, if you want to know the use, spelling or pronunciation of a word, consult your dictionary.

If you have understood the information on the text, answer the questions below!

Now answer the questions:

NAME:

1. What is a dictionary?

2. What does a dictionary give?

3. Why is an English dictionary important for a student of English?

4. Explain the differences between a monolingual dictionary and a bilingual dictionary?

5. How do people classify dictionaries?

6. What type of dictionary contains a limited number of words?

7. Which type of dictionary is suitable for advanced learners?

8. When do we use a dictionary?

9. Does a dictionary explain only the meanings of words?

10. What else does a dictionary explain?

If you have finished the answers, now print this out and give it to your teacher or send it by email to:

suhaeriendang@yahoo.com

Now you discuss with your friends about how important a dictionary in learning English. In the present, a dictionary not only forms a pocket dictionary and a complete dictionary but also in an electronic tool and a program in a computer.

So, you discuss with your friends about this case what its advantages and weakness in each differences.

If you have finished the discussion, now you write the opinion and statement in a paper.

Learn the sentences below (in the text “The dictionary and its uses)

  1. Have you got a dictionary?
  2. A dictionary is important for somebody learning English
  3. It helps the learner to study the English language.
  4. If you have a dictionary, it will help you.

Look all words that underlined are about tenses.

The first sentence is present perfect tense that has construction:

· She/ He/ It + has + V3

· They/ We/ I + have + V3

Present perfect is used to explain activity that its time continues from the past until now.

The second and the third sentence are simple present tense that has construction:

  • She/ He/ It + V1(es/s) or To Be (is)
  • I + V1 or To Be (am)
  • They/ We + V1 or To Be (are)

Simple present tense is used to explain activity that happens now.

The fourth sentence is simple future tense that has construction:

  • She/ He/ It/ I/ They/ We + will/shall + V1

Simple future tense is used to explain activity that its time will come.

Make a sentence about tenses above from the words below.

  1. arrive
  2. see
  3. finish
  4. write
  5. study
  6. come
  7. go
  8. send
  9. use
  10. read

Now make a good paragraph that use three tenses (Present Perfect Tense, Simple Present Tense, and simple Future Tense)

1 comment:

$umint4 said...

answer the questions:
NAME: SUMINTA
1. A dictionary is a kind of reference book
2. It gives a list of words in alphabetical order and gives information about them. It explains their pronunciation, spelling and meaning. In addition, a good dictionary also explains how words are used.
3. Because it helps the learner to study the English language.
4. A monolingual dictionary is an English dictionary that has explanations in English. A bilingual dictionary is an English dictionary that has explanations in Indonesia.
5. People classify dictionaries by size and coverage. There are pocket dictionaries or small dictionaries and large ones.
6. A small dictionary
7. A larger dictionary
8. If we do not know the meaning of a word
9. No, it doesn’t.
10. It explains the use, spelling or pronunciation of a word.
Now you discuss with your friends about how important a dictionary in learning English. In the present, a dictionary not only forms a pocket dictionary and a complete dictionary but also in an electronic tool and a program in a computer.
I think the dictionary is very important for my learning English. It can give me easy to find the words that I didn’t know its meaning, spelling and pronunciation. I would rather to use a complete dictionary than a pocket dictionary or electronic dictionary. I think a small dictionary that less complete the words and usually it don’t has the use of words, and also an electronic dictionary is very expensive for me and usually do error. It is complete to help me to find the words and also it is enough expensive for me. I also think to own all that can be easy for my learning English. A small or electronic dictionary can be taken by me to everywhere, it is simple. I also should have them.
Make a sentence about tenses above from the words below.
1. arrive
My father has arrived home from his office one hour ago.
She arrives to school now
I will arrive your house tomorrow.
2. see
I haven’t seen you for weeks.
She sees some books in the library now.
She won’t see you again because she hates you.
3. finish
They have finished their task two days ago.
My mother finishes his cooking now.
He will finish his problem next day.
4. write
He has often written some books before.
She writes a letter for her mother every month.
I will write a story in my blog tonight.
5. study
He has studied English in America for five years.
I study English in Ibn Khaldun Bogor now.
I will study hard speaking English next day.
6. come
They have come to his birthday party two hour ago.
My teacher don’t come to campus today.
I will come to your house tomorrow.
7. go
They have gone to England two days ago.
She go back to campus now.
Will you go home with me?
8. send
The car has sent many foods to my house two weeks ago.
She sends a letter in the post office now.
My parent will send me some money next two day.
9. use
I have used the dictionary for translating my English words.
They use some computers for typing their tasks.
He will use hand phone to call him tomorrow.
10. read
My friend has read my diary one hour ago.
He reads a magazine in the bookstore now.
I will read my note book tonight.
make a paragraph that use three tenses (Present Perfect Tense, Simple Present Tense, and simple Future Tense)
A dog whose black is owned by my neighbour has bitten my left leg two days ago. My left leg feels pain now. I hate that dog. If I see that dog, I will throw stone for that dog.